Arandora Star 75th Anniversary of sinking
2nd July 2015 was the 75th anniversary of the sinking of the Arandora Star by the German U-boat U-47. The Arandora Star was carrying 734 Italian internees and 565 German prisoners of war and internees to Canada. The torpedo attack resulted in the death of 470 Italians and 243 Germans.
A number of memorials have been erected in the UK and Italy to commemorate the loss of the Italian nationals. Below is a list of their locations and websites (if available). N.B. The list may not be comprehensive as the victims' bodies came ashore at a number of locations in Northern Ireland and Scotland - there are individual stones in the local graveyards (click on the Colonsay link below for further details).
- Colonsay Arandora Star history - provides a lot of background information and pointers to other sources.
- Memorial in the Italian cloister gardens at St. Andrew's Cathedral, Glasgow.
- Memorial in St. Peter's Italian Church, Clerkenwell, London. There will be a commemerative Mass at the Church on 2nd July 2015 at 7.00pm followed by a reception nearby (invitation only).
- Memorial plaque at the Pier Head, Liverpool.
- Arandora Star Memorial Chapel in the cemetery Bardi, Italy (video).
- Memorial at Eastside Park, Birmingham (to be unveiled 2015).
- Memorial at Middlesbrough.
- Memorial at Barga, Italy (video in Italian).
- Memorial at Bratto, Italy.
A list of the Italian fatalities can be seen here